Offer no. 12/14
Pd/ZrO2/C catalyst, process for the preparation of the Pd/ZrO2/C catalyst, its use in formic acid fuel cells, and such a fuel cell
The subject of the present invention is a Pd/ZrO2/C catalyst, in particular for the electrooxidation of formic acid, comprising palladium and zirconium oxide deposited on the carbon support, where in the catalyst Pd/ZrO2/C, the nominal mass ratio of zirconium oxide to carbon is in the range of 0.11 - 0.66, preferably (0.25). The catalyst self-activates by spontaneous cell voltage oscillations which do not requires supplying of energy from an external source. Furthermore, the invention comprises a process of the preparation of a Pd/ZrO2/C catalyst, its use for electrooxidation of formic acid in fuel cells fed with formic acid, and such a formic acid fuel cell.
Andrzej Borodziński, Karol Juchniewicz, Piotr Kędzierzawski, Agata Zimoch, Krzysztof Jan Kurzydłowski, Artur Małolepszy, Marta Mazurkiewicz, Anna Mikołajczuk-Zychora, Leszek Stobiński
- Advantages / Innovative aspects:
- The use ofcheaperformic acid (fuel) of lower purity(reagent grade insteadHPLC),
- Significant improvement of stability of palladium catalysts for electrooxidation of formic acid of a reagent grade purity,
- Spontaneous regeneration of palladium catalyst during the electrooxidation of formic acid of reagent grade purity.
Fuel cell, palladium catalysts, formic acid, alternative sources of electric energy
The catalyst is applied on anode of the low-temperature polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell fed with a formic acid. Such a fuel cell can be used to power small portable devices (phones, laptops).
Composites, fuel batteries, hydrogen production, unconventional or alternative sources of energy, fuels, micro. and nanotechnologies.
- State of the progress:
stage of research
- Intellectual property rights:
Patent in Poland