Institute of Physical Chemistry Polish Academy of Sciences
National Science Center
Project title, type and project number
Interactions mediated by fluctuating medium in and out-of equilibrium, research project OPUS23 No. 2022/45/B/ST3/00936, 40/2023
Prof. dr hab. Anna Maciołek
This project focus on the theory and applications for self-assembly of effective forces emerging between passive
and active objects immersed in a binary liquid mixtures close to the critical demixing point. The project is theoretical and computational but will benefit from empirical data and close collaborations with experimental colleagues. The scientific goal of this project is threefold: to build on our expertise in modelling fluctuation-induced forces in equilibrium to firstly, gain insight into temperature controlled assembly of two types of particles into colloidal alloys and, secondly, to elucidate the physical determinants of the formation of lipid and protein domains in membranes. The third goal is to expose the basic physical principles of the interaction of active particles and, furthermore, uncover dynamical consequences of these forces that can range from trapping, scattering and simple or complex orbits. Our well-controlled model systems will provide insight into the fundamentals of non-equilibrium physics.
Number of vacancies
Key responsibilities include
Position in the project
11 667 PLN per month (140 000 PLN per year) That is the gross/gross amount including employer's expense. It would be the subject of taxes, social and health insurances and other legal deductions according to polish law.
Position starts on
Maximum planned period of contract/stipend agreement
12 months, with a possible extension up to 48 months
A full-time position. It is possible to change the starting date in the justified case. 100% of the work time will be devoted to the realisation of the project. No teaching obligations. We offer work in the scientifically stimulating, friendly environment in a dynamic, motivated and ready for a help group.
Career development prospects at IPC PAS
The successful candidate will benefit in the form of new knowledge and methods added to his/her toolbox. The project deals with colloidal, cell membranes, and active matter physics, so any candidate profile will find some new knowledge to be gained upon the realisation of the project. We plan to publish the results of the work in high-impact factor journals. The successful candidate will be able to take advantage of all programs in the IPC PAS, including Young Scientists of IPC PAS competition and Mobility of Young Scientists of IPC PAS competition. The Institute provides an opportunity to participate in ERASMUS+ program.
Link to Euraxess websitesee website
More detailssee website
physics, physical chemistry
Scientific profile of a candidate
Recognised Researcher (R2)
• PhD degree in physics, chemistry, chemical engineering, obtained no earlier than 7 years before the starting year of the employment in the project (this period might be longer due to family reasons (according to NCN rules).
• Good knowledge of statistical physics methods in the condensed (soft) matter physics.
• Analytical and numerical skills and interest: basic level of programming in C or Fortran, Python, Mathematica.
• Extensive (in accordance to research experience) publication list in academic journals and by publishing houses that are reviewed according to international standards.
• Ability to work independently as well as in a group.
• Ability to communicate fluently in English (written and spoken).
• Strong motivation to work and pursue scientific questions, creativity, and analytical thinking.
• Research experience in related fields will be advantageous.
Key assessment criteria
The Recruitment Commission will take into account the following criteria:
• a) competencies of candidates for specific tasks in a research project (max 65 points),
• b) previous scientific achievements of candidates (max 30 points),
• c) awards and distinctions of the candidate resulting from the conducted research (5 points).
The commission evaluates applications on a point scale (max 100 points)
• employment application,
• professional curriculum vitae,
• university degree diploma and PhD certificate,
• list of scientific achievements (publications, patents, conference presentations, etc.),
• two letters of recommendation written by a scientist in the field
How to Apply: Send application directly to:
IMPORTANT: email title “Recruitment 40/2023;
• Top candidates will be invited for an online or in-person interview. Good command of English is required. We reserve the right to contact and reply to only selected candidates.
• Only candidates with a minimum of 70 points would be considered for the position. A position will be offered to the person who obtains the highest number of points. The Recruitment Committee may not recommend any candidate for the position if no candidate would get at least 70 points.
• Employment will take place in accordance with the Employment policy of the Institute of Physical Chemistry PAS https://ichf.edu.pl/files/csr/ipc-procedures.pdf and the provisions of the competition documentation of the National Science Center (NSC) for the OPUS-23 contest https://www.ncn.gov.pl/sites/default/files/pliki/uchwaly-rady/2022/uchwala27_2022-zal1_ang.pdf
• The incomplete applications will be not considered.
• The results of the competition are made public.
• Candidates who have been issued a negative opinion by the Recruitment Committee or candidates not selected for employment have the right to appeal against the results of the evaluation. The appeal shall be lodged with the Director of the Institute within 7 days from the date of receipt of the appropriate information. The decision of the Director of the Institute shall be final.
• If the top candidate does not sign the contract due to the resignation, we reserve the right to choose the next candidate from the ranking list (If he/she obtained at least 70 points in the recruitment process).
Additional information would be provided by email firstname.lastname@example.org
A post-doc type post is a full-time post, scheduled by the project’s principal investigator for
a person who has been conferred a PhD degree in the year of employment in the project or
within 7 years before 1 January of the year of employment in the project. This period may be
extended by a time of long-term (in excess of 90 days) documented sick leaves or rehabilitation
leaves granted on account of being unfit to work. In addition, the period may be extended by
the number of months of a child care leave granted pursuant to the Labour Code and in the
case of women, by 18 months for every child born or adopted, whichever manner of accounting
for career breaks is preferable. The candidate is not eligible to apply if he/she (1) did have the principal investigator as their research supervisor or auxiliary
supervisor of their PhD dissertation and (2) his/her
PhD degree doctoral degree has been awarded by the Institute of Physical Chemistry PAS and he/she have not completed a continuous and evidenced post-doctoral
fellowship of at least 10 months in another institution than the host institution for the project
and in another country than Poland; (see competition documentation of the National Science Center (NCS) for the OPUS 23).
Deadline for the settlement of the competition
Archival announcement. We would like to thank all candidates for their submitted applications.