Institute of Physical Chemistry Polish Academy of Sciences
National Science Center
Project title, type and project number
Interactions mediated by fluctuating medium in and out-of equilibrium, research project OPUS23 No. 2022/45/B/ST3/00936, 4/2023
Prof. dr hab. Anna Maciołek
This project focus on the theory and applications for self-assembly of effective forces emerging between passive and active objects immersed in a binary liquid mixtures close to the critical demixing point. The project is theoretical and computational but will benefit from empirical data and close collaborations with experimental colleagues. The scientific goal of this project is threefold: to build on our expertise in modelling fluctuation-induced forces in equilibrium to firstly, gain insight into temperature controlled assembly of two types of particles into colloidal alloys and, secondly, to elucidate the physical determinants of the formation of lipid and protein domains in membranes. The third goal is to expose the basic physical principles of the interaction of active particles and, furthermore, uncover dynamical consequences of these forces that can range from trapping, scattering and simple or complex orbits. Our well-controlled model systems will provide insight into the fundamentals of non-equilibrium physics.
Number of vacancies
Key responsibilities include
Position in the project
11 667 PLN per month (140 000 PLN per year) That is the gross/gross amount including employer's expense. It would be the subject of taxes, social and health insurances and other legal deductions according to polish law
Position starts on
Maximum planned period of contract/stipend agreement
12 months, with a possible extension up to 48 months
A full-time position. It is possible to change the starting date in the justified case. 100% of the work time will be devoted to the realisation of the project. No teaching obligations. We offer work in the scientifically stimulating, friendly environment in a dynamic, motivated and ready for a help group.
Career development prospects at IPC PAS
The successful candidate will benefit in the form of new knowledge and methods added to his/her toolbox. The project deals with colloidal, cell membranes, and active matter physics, so any candidate profile will find some new knowledge to be gained upon the realisation of the project. We plan to publish the results of the work in high-impact factor journals. The successful candidate will be able to take advantage of all programs in the IPC PAS, including Young Scientists of IPC PAS competition and Mobility of Young Scientists of IPC PAS competition. The Institute provides an opportunity to participate in ERASMUS+ program.
More detailssee website
physics, physical chemistry
Scientific profile of a candidate
Recognised Researcher (R2)
Key assessment criteria
The Recruitment Commission will take into account the following criteria:
a) competencies of candidates for specific tasks in a research project (max 65 points),
b) previous scientific achievements of candidates (max 30 points),
c) awards and distinctions of the candidate resulting from the conducted research (5 points).
The commission evaluates applications on a point scale (max 100 points)
How to Apply: Send application directly to:
IMPORTANT: email title “Recruitment 4/2023;
• Top candidates will be invited for an online or in-person interview. Good command of English is required. We reserve the right to contact and reply to only selected candidates.
• Only candidates with a minimum of 70 points would be considered for the position. A position will be offered to the person who obtains the highest number of points. The Recruitment Committee may not recommend any candidate for the position if no candidate would get at least 70 points.
• Employment will take place in accordance with the Employment policy of the Institute of Physical Chemistry PAS https://ichf.edu.pl/files/csr/ipc-procedures.pdf and the provisions of the competition documentation of the National Science Center (NSC) for the OPUS-23 contest https://www.ncn.gov.pl/sites/default/files/pliki/uchwaly-rady/2022/uchwala27_2022-zal1_ang.pdf
• The incomplete applications will be not considered.
• The results of the competition are made public.
• Candidates who have been issued a negative opinion by the Recruitment Committee or candidates not selected for employment have the right to appeal against the results of the evaluation. The appeal shall be lodged with the Director of the Institute within 7 days from the date of receipt of the appropriate information. The decision of the Director of the Institute shall be final.
• If the top candidate does not sign the contract due to the resignation, we reserve the right to choose the next candidate from the ranking list (If he/she obtained at least 70 points in the recruitment process).
Additional information would be provided by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for the settlement of the competition
Archival announcement. We would like to thank all candidates for their submitted applications.