Institute of Physical Chemistry PAS
National Science Centre
Project title, type and project number
Fast molecular dynamics in plasmonic nanocavities, OPUS 20 Project No. 2020/39/B/ST4/01523, 39/2021
Sylwester Gawinkowski, PhD
The project’s primary goal is to develop the methodology of monitoring single entities’ vibrational spectra with time-resolved SERS spectroscopy and apply the technique to analyse intra- and inter-molecular dynamics. It will be realised by applying a new detection scheme of temporal changes in the SERS spectra and then the correlation of measured temporal evolution of SERS spectra with quantum-chemical simulations of polarizability tensors of molecules located in the specific plasmonic environment. Direct comparison of collection of simulated spectra of the molecule for all possible orientations and distortions, which can be predicted with the measured temporal evolution of SERS spectra, should uncover the dynamics of such a molecule. It will be applied for both the relatively long-term (the time scale of microseconds) and the ultrafast (femtosecond) molecular processes (e.g. relative translation and rotation of the molecule in the vicinity of nanoparticles and in the strong electric field; chemical reactions in the plasmonic environment; etc.)
Number of vacancies
Key responsibilities include
Position in the project
10 000 PLN/month That is the gross/gross amount including employer's expense. It would be the subject of taxes, social and health insurances and other legal deductions according to polish law.
Position starts on
Maximum planned period of contract/stipend agreement
12 months, with a possible extension up to 36 months
The successful candidate is expected to start work within the project on the 1st of October 2021. It is possible to delay the starting date in the justified case but no longer than until 1st December 2021). 100% of the work time will be devoted to the realisation of the project. There are no teaching obligations. The postdoc would have access to supercomputer and specialized software in the Institute and on supercomputer of Poland (Polish Grid infrastructure).
Career development prospects at IPC PAS
The successful candidate will benefit in the form of new knowledge and methods added to his/her toolbox. The project deals with nanotechnology, physics, material sciences, and physical chemistry, so any candidate profile will find some new knowledge to be gained upon the realisation of the project.
We plan to publish the results of the work in high-impact factor journals.
The successful candidate will be able to take advantage of all programs in the IPC PAS, including Young Scientists of IPC PAS competition and Mobility of Young Scientists of IPC PAS competition. The Institute provides an opportunity to participate in ERASMUS+ program.
Link to Euraxess websitesee website
Chemistry, physics, nanotechnology, material science, or similar.
Scientific profile of a candidate
Recognised Researcher (R2)
Key assessment criteria
The Recruitment Commission will take into account the following criteria:
a) competencies of candidates for specific tasks in a research project (max 60 points),
b) previous scientific achievements of candidates (max 30 points),
c) awards and distinctions of the candidate resulting from the conducted research (10 points).
The commission evaluates applications on a point scale (max 100 points).
How to Apply: Send application directly to firstname.lastname@example.org;
IMPORTANT: email title “Recruitment 39/2021”;
• Top candidates will be invited for an online or in-person interview. Good command of English is required. We reserve the right to contact and reply to only selected candidates.
• Only candidates with a minimum of 70 points would be considered for the position. A position will be offered to the person who obtains the highest number of points. The Recruitment Committee may not recommend any candidate for the position if no one would get at least 70 points.
• The results of the recruitment will be announced on 1st September 2021.
• Employment will take place in accordance with the Employment policy of the Institute of Physical Chemistry PAS https://ichf.edu.pl/files/csr/ipc-procedures.pdf and the provisions of the competition documentation of the National Science Center (NSC) for the OPUS-20 contest https://www.ncn.gov.pl/sites/default/files/pliki/uchwaly-rady/2020/uchwala95_2020-zal1.pdf#page=43
• The incomplete applications will be not considered.
• The results of the competition are made public.
• Candidates who have been issued a negative opinion by the Recruitment Committee or candidates not selected for employment have the right to appeal against the results of the evaluation. The appeal shall be lodged with the Director of the Institute within 7 days from the date of receipt of the appropriate information. The decision of the Director of the Institute shall be final.
• If the top candidate does not sign the contract due to the resignation, we reserve the right to choose the next candidate from the ranking list (If he/she obtained at least 70 points in the recruitment process).
Additional information would be provided by email email@example.com
Competition documentation of the National Science Center:
Deadline for the settlement of the competition
Archival announcement. We would like to thank all candidates for their submitted applications.