Team 2 LIVING MATERIALS, INSITUTE OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY PAS
NATIONAL SCIENCE CENTRE
Project title, type and project number
National Science Center Sonata Bis 7 Project No. 2017/26/E/ST4/00041 entitled “MODULATION OF STABILITY OF VIRIONS – A FIGHT FOR AND AGAINST VIRUSES”, 19/2021
Jan Paczesny, PhD
The ultimate goal of the project is to develop methods for modulation and control of stability of viruses. We plan to investigate both the stabilization and destabilization of viruses because they are both our enemies and, surprisingly, friends, depending on the point of view and specific situation. We need to destabilize or deactivate virions (virion – single viral particle; the body of virus) when they are causing diseases or sabotage biotechnological based industry processes. However, viruses are our allies as the main component of vaccines, “messengers” in genetic therapies or novel agents for biosensors. Therefore, there is also a need to support/strengthen virions or improve their activity.
The modulation of stability of viruses will be demonstrated on the example of bacteriophages (phages in short) – viruses, which hosts are bacteria. This choice is due to the importance of phages in the biotechnology industry, genetics, or analytical chemistry. Among them are species (like bacteriophage MS2), which are great models routinely utilized for studying viruses attacking eukaryotic (also human) cells.
Number of vacancies
Key responsibilities include
The successful candidate will investigate issues related to the stability of viruses to understand the phenomena and processes that could lead to developing methods for the stabilization and inactivation of virions.
Primary responsibilities are as follow:
Position in the project
Type of contract: temporary, Status: full-time empoyment, Hours Per Week: 40
Around 8000 PLN gross
Position starts on
Maximum planned period of contract/stipend agreement
12 months with possible extension in case of an extension of the project implementation period.
We offer a post-doctoral position (full-time employment) in the Institute of Physical Chemistry PAS with a gross salary of around 8000 PLN per month financed from the NCN Sonata Bis 7 Project No. 2017/26/E/ST4/00041. The successful candidate is expected to start work within the project no later than 17th of July 2021. 100% of the work time of Postdoc will be devoted to the realization of the proposed project.
Career development prospects at IPC PAS
The successful candidate will benefit in form of new knowledge and methods added to his/her toolbox. The project deals with biology, nanotechnology, physics and physical chemistry, so any profile of candidate will find some new knowledge to be gained upon realization of the project.
We plan to publish the results of the work in high impact factor journals.
The successful candidate will be able to take advantage of all programs in the IPC PAS, including Young Scientists of IPC PAS competition and Mobility of Young Scientists of IPC PAS competition.
Institute provides an opportunity to participate in ERASMUS+ programme.
More detailssee website
Chemistry, biology, physics, biotechnology or similar fields.
Scientific profile of a candidate
Recognised Researcher (R2)
1. PhD degree in chemical, physical or biochemical sciences, obtained no earlier than 7 years before the starting year of the employment in the project (this period might be longer due to family reasons (according to NCN rules).
2. Publication record and rich scientific experience.
3. Ability to work independently as well as in a group.
4. Basic knowledge of rules and protocols valid in bio-labs.
5. Knowledge of bacteriophages will be appreciated.
6. Ability to communicate fluently in English (written and spoken).
7. Strong motivation to work and pursue scientific questions, creativity, and analytical thinking.
8. Research experience in related fields will be advantageous.
Key assessment criteria
The Commission will take into account the following criteria:
a) competencies of candidates for specific tasks in a research project,
b) previous scientific achievements of candidates,
c) awards and distinctions of the candidate resulting from the conducted research.
The commission evaluates applications on a point scale.
• Complete application should include the following items: employment application, professional curriculum vitae, university degree diploma and PhD certificate, a list of scientific achievements (publications, patents, conference presentations, etc.), at least one letter of recommendation written by academics. The application deadline is on 17th of June 2021.
• Top candidates will be invited for an on-line or in person interview (on 21st of June 2021). Good command of English is required. We reserve the right to contact and reply to only selected candidates.
• A position will be offered to the person who obtains the highest number of points.
• The results of the recruitment will be announced on 29th of June 2021.
• Employment will take place in accordance with the Employment policy of the Institute of Physical Chemistry PAS https://ichf.edu.pl/files/csr/ipc-procedures.pdf and the provisions of the competition documentation of the National Science Center (NSC) for the SONATA BIS 7 https://www.ncn.gov.pl/ogloszenia/konkursy/sonata-bis7
• The incomplete applications will be not considered.
• The results of the competition are made public.
• Candidates who have been issued a negative opinion by the Competition Committee or candidates not selected for employment have the right to appeal against the results of the evaluation. The appeal shall be lodged with the Director of the Institute within 7 days from the date of receipt of the appropriate information. The decision of the Director of the Institute shall be final.
• If the top candidate does not sign the contract, due to the resignation, we reserve the right to choose the next candidate from the ranking list.
Candidate needs to meet formal requirements:
a) at the time of employment, he/she do not receive any other remuneration from the NCN funds in any form;
b) the project manager was not a supervisor / auxiliary supervisor in his/her doctoral thesis;
c) during the period of employment, he/she does not receive any other remuneration on the basis of an employment contract with any employer (also applies to an employer having its registered office outside the territory of the Republic of Poland)
How to Apply: Send application directly to firstname.lastname@example.org;
IMPORTANT! email subject: “Recruitment no. 19/2021”
Deadline for the settlement of the competition
Archival announcement. We would like to thank all candidates for their submitted applications.