International Centre for Translational Eye Research (Institute of Physical Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences), Warsaw, Poland
Foundation for Polish Science
Project title, type and project number
FNP Project - Elucidating the mechanisms of vision at an atomic and molecular level - Postdoctoral fellow in Structural Biology (fixed term contract), MCBO 33/2021
Prof. Maciej Wojtkowski, Group Leader: Dr Humberto Fernandes
International Centre for Translational Eye Research
The Project/Centre is funded within the International Research Agendas Programme of the Foundation for Polish Science. It is a collaboration between Institute of Physical Chemistry PAS and University College London, UK
The International Center for Translational Eye Research (ICTER) is a multi-investigator center for eye research as related to imaging and biochemical techniques to support advances in understanding the etiology and treatment of human blinding diseases. Further information on the research priorities and current expertise of our Center can be found at http://www.icter.pl.
The Institute seeks applicant with a PhD degree, and experience in biochemistry, molecular biology, or structural biology. Candidate should be interested in structural biology.
The Postdoctoral fellow will have a direct impact on lab development and its success in publishing in high impact factor journals. The person will be also responsible for performing dynamic research to create a competitive research group. The positions will be assigned to the Pharmacology Group led by Dr. Humberto Fernandes, focused on elucidating the mechanisms of vision at an atomic and molecular level, with the ultimate goal to help developing therapeutics for the treatment of eye disorder(s), help prevent, or at least delaying, the onset of eye diseases.
Number of vacancies
Key responsibilities include
1. Planning and executing experiments and analyze the results
2. Proactive approach to achieving objectives
3. Conducting research tasks including: molecular cloning, protein production, purification, and characterization
4. Creating protocols and R&D documentation.
5. Applying for and leading independent projects.
6. Helping other group members
7. Actively participating in group meetings, institute seminars, and conferences
8. Supervising students, and coordinating the work of PhD students
9. Writing publications and reports, and help with the edition of scientific text and graphics for publication
10. Handling bibliographic databases
11 000 PLN / ~2400 EUR gross/month (about 7 700 net gross/month)
Position starts on
Maximum planned period of contract/stipend agreement
1. Full-time fixed employment contract;
2. Opportunity to work in an innovative scientific environment;
3. International cooperation with experienced researchers;
4. Competitive salary
1. Holds a PhD (or will defend before the start date of employment or in the first months of employment) in biological sciences or related fields (obtained not earlier than 1st of January 2017)
2. Has solid knowledge and documented laboratory hands-on experience in at least two of the following: (i) molecular cloning, protein production and purification; (ii) biophysical characterization or structural biology; (iii) molecular docking and/or molecular dynamics simulations. Expertise in (i) mammalian cell lines and (ii) cryo-EM will be a plus
3. High motivation, analytical skills, and independent thinking.
4. Ability to work in a team, managing projects, and good organization of work.
5. Very good written and oral communication skills in English
6. A proactive approach to achieving tasks and objectives, good interpersonal skills, collaborative attitude
7. A strong motivation for basic scientific research
8. Good skills to plan and execute experiments
9. Has the ability to draft (in English) scientific papers for academic journals
10. Has the ability to communicate (in English) complex information clearly, orally, and in writing
11. Has good presentation skills (ideally having presented during at least one international conference)
12. Has published at least one publication as the first author in an international peer-reviewed journal
Key assessment criteria
1. CV (including a list of projects/publications)
2. Cover letter
3. Copy of PhD diploma
4. Name and addresses of two references
Please submit the required documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kindly specify in the application topic: MCBO 33/2021
Successful candidates fulfilling the selection criteria and qualifications will be invited for an interview (which will most likely take place in an online format on 03-05.02.2021). The competition results shall be announced by 15th of February 2021. The competition may be extended until a suitable candidate who fulfills all requirements is found. The International Centre for Translational Eye Research (Institute of Physical Chemistry PAS) is committed to employment equality (esp. European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers) and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates fulfilling the requirements specified in this announcement.
Euraxess job/stipend offer (in case of PhD and postdoc positions): https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/592164
Deadline for the settlement of the competition
Archival announcement. We would like to thank all candidates for their submitted applications.