Institute of Physical Chemistry Polish Academy of Sciences
National Science Centre (NCN)
Project title, type and project number
The National Science Centre SONATA 16 Project No. 2020/39/D/NZ4/01881 entitled “The role of the basal forebrain in visual processing”, 25/2022
dr Andrzej Foik
The Project will be realized in the Ophthalmic Biology Group (OBi) led by Andrzej Foik Ph.D. OBi Group within the Institute of Physical Chemistry Polish Academy of Sciences is assigned to the International Centre for Translational Eye Research (ICTER). ICTER is funded within the International Research Agendas Program of the Foundation for Polish Science. It is collaboration between the Institute of Physical Chemistry PAS and University College London, UK. The International Center for Translational Eye Research (ICTER) is a multi-investigator center for eye research as related to imaging and biochemical techniques to support advances in understanding the etiology and treatment and human blinding diseases. Further information on the research priorities and current expertise of our Center can be found at http://www.icter.pl.
The Postdoc position within SONATA 16 is intended for candidates with a Ph.D. degree interested in neurobiology techniques such as electrophysiology, optogenetic technique, intracerebral and intraocular injections, behavioral experiments, immunohistochemistry. Candidates should also be interested in translational research and the development of new viral or gene therapies to cure blindness or other diseases. The postdoctoral scholar will have a direct impact on lab development and its success in publishing in high impact factor journals. The person will also be responsible for performing dynamic research to create a competitive research group. The position will focus on the testing of new viral therapies in in vivo research, analyzing visual information processing in the visual system before and after plasticity that happens due to vision recovery or disease.
Number of vacancies
Key responsibilities include
Position in the project
~ 9000 PLN gross/ month
Position starts on
Maximum planned period of contract/stipend agreement
January 5th 2025
Career development prospects at IPC PAS
PostDoc will be part of a dynamic multi-disciplinary team and will have the possibility to collaborate with leading national and international groups in the fields of eye research. He/she will be encouraged to participate in national and international conferences.
Scientific profile of a candidate
Recognised Researcher (R2)
1. Ph.D. degree in biology, neurobiology, molecular biology, medicine or related.
2. The doctoral degree has to be obtained, not earlier, but within 7 years prior to joining the project. This period does not include breaks related to: maternity leave, adoption leave, paternal leave, parental leave granted in compliance with the Employment Code, nor periods of sickness benefit or rehabilitation benefit granted on account of unfitness for work, including any caused by a health condition requiring rehabilitation. In such a case, the 7-year period is to be extended by the duration of the leave in question.
3. Ability to work in a team and manage projects and people;
4. Strong work dedication, work ethics, discipline and independence;
5. Good problem-solving skills and creativity;
6. Proficiency in English, both spoken and written;
7. MS Office (additional skills in graphic programs or Matlab/Python will be an asset).
Key assessment criteria
Successful candidates fulfilling the main eligibility criteria and qualifications will be invited for an interview (which will most likely take place from August 2nd, 2022). The competition results shall be announced by August 16th, 2022.
Incomplete applications may be not considered.
We reserve the right to contact and reply only to selected candidates.
IMPORTANT: Send application directly to email@example.com
IMPORTANT: email title “Rekrutacja 25/2022”
applications sent without this reference number in the title will not be considered.
Deadline for the settlement of the competition
Archival announcement. We would like to thank all candidates for their submitted applications.